Changes - Going Home

Well, it has been a minute since I posted anything. As I am typing this, I am staring out the window of our new apartment in Columbus, Ohio. For many of you, you may not know that I am from Newark, Ohio. I was born and raised in Ohio. When I was young, I dreamed of seeing the big wide world and so when we left Cincinnati, Ohio in 2007 and moved to Washington State, I did not dream we would return to my home state.

Columbus was the big city for me growing up. We came here to do our back to school shopping sometimes, we would come to gospel meetings in various churches (Canal Winchester, Hilliard, Worthington, Broad St, to name a few) in the greater Columbus area. We frequented a place called Children's Palace to occasionally get a new toy. As I got older, I would come to Columbus to visit the zoo, go to a show, go clubbing, visit friends, cruise High Street, and of course visit COSI. I had a violin teacher in Bexley.  My brother played indoor soccer in Westerville. I had friends who skateboarded off Cleveland Ave. I would catch a drive in movie in Reynoldsburg and loved hitting up the The Continent's French Market with its outdoor shops and eateries. We visited both Northland and Eastland Mall. Columbus grew and so did we - so soon it was walking High Street to visit Magnolia Thunderpussy, visiting all of the little shops and bars, or catching a concert at the Newport. Columbus was very cosmopolitan for a girl who grew up in the small town of Newark. It opened my eyes to something different.

The Short North lured me in with the art galleries and evenings filled with shops and art. As an early twenty something, I dreamed of living in the area, close to downtown but also filled with older buildings and character. Imagine my surprise when my husband asked how I would feel about moving back to Ohio. I had a lot of feelings, but I knew I wanted to live in Columbus proper.

Now, I am here. It feels weird to be both with places that are filled with memories and also seeing the new. Just the other day we needed to go and get some items for our apartment and off we went to the Lennox Town Center - where my brother used to work at Don Pablos, I would go to movies at the AMC Theater and get a cup of coffee from the Cup O Joe. It is strange to realize how quickly I can remember how to get back across the Olentangy River (5th, King, Lane). Navigating streets that I haven't driven on in over 25 years (I moved to Cincinnati in 1994 and would come up to visit on occasion). Once I went to school and got a job, my trips to Columbus would become less frequent - taking on the life of Cincinnati (another story for another time). 

I was reluctant at first to return. Now, I feel like I am here for a reason. It is time for me to embrace my small town Ohio roots and write from the places I have wanted to avoid for so long. Hopefully you will come along on the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Goals - 2024

Traveling with Strangers