The Longest Night - Winter Solstice

It is coming...the longest night. I have loved developing a ritual and celebration around Winter Solstice. The call to go inward, the connection with Mother Earth, and the reflection the year. Over the years, I have slowly begun to add in things as solstice approaches. 

I look over the year - what stands out - what do I remember - what were the moments that I want to remember and reflect on. I think about what my goals or intentions were for the year. For the past few years I have participated in #13in13 all the way to #23in23. It has been fun to pick some things for me to do, to finish, to push my edges, to explore, and to just find some time to spend on things that I would love to see as part of my day to day life as well as some dream things I hope will happen. This is inspired by Gretchen Rubin and her sister, Elizabeth Craft and their podcast Happier. Truthfully I have always created goals or intentions or even resolutions for the year - I just shifted when I start thinking about them and planning for the following year. I am starting to follow the Wheel of the Year.

I spend some time in nature - sometimes it is just a hike close to home and other times I venture out and travel. For most of my years of celebrating Winter Solstice I lived in the Pacific Northwest - so I would enjoy walks at McLane Creek or Woodard Bay or sometimes I would venture further and go to the Olympic Peninsula and enjoy places like Lake Quinault or the Hoh Rainforest or enjoy time at the Mountain - Mt Rainier that is!

I gift crystals - so for many years I worked at the Washington State Archives, and around solstice I would give my employees crystals based on what I thought may be useful or helpful, and of course they are also pretty, so even if they don't resonate with the power of crystals, they can be a fun collection to any decor in the yard or around the home.

I journal about how I feel and what I hope for.

I spend time with the trees. 

I light candles.

I meditate.

For years I would attend a local yoga event celebrating the winter solstice. It felt powerful to be among others who found this shift from the darkness back to the light so interesting and something to be celebrated.

I am exploring this time of year - getting in tune with nature's rhythms. From Summer Solstice to now the world is getting darker, moving inward - not starting any new projects unless I'm committed. I reflect on where I am about August - and see if there is anything I still want to take on. I'm also anticipating the return of the light. After Winter Solstice, the light is returning. Things begin to wake up. Notice the buds on the trees, see the evidence of nature preparing for Spring, even as we head into our coldest months. I was continuously amazed at noticing things in January or February in the Pacific Northwest. Last night as I went to the local Nature Conservatory, I noticed some buds on the trees as I walked into the entrance. I am sure I will witness this in Ohio as well.

I am also noticing my urge to plan, to do new things, to think about what I want to do in the coming year. I see this as a time to research, make lists, and consider - learning that often to actually do everything I think about is not realistic. I make my lists and I think about the year ahead. Nothing gets planned, but seeds get planted.

My family did not celebrate Christmas as a holiday. I have a complicated relationship with it as a season and as a holiday. There is a wistfulness of wanting the celebration to be that of movies and memories but it does seem to be the time of year when people are so stressed out I ask myself what is the point? I have tried to adopt some things about the season I enjoy but I also know it is a painful time of year for many people. Winter Solstice feels more connected to the earth and less about stuff. It is still a time of reflection and evaluation but less pressure to do things, instead just be with how things are.

However you celebrate the season, I hope you find moments of peace, of joy, and of connection.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Goals - 2024

Changes - Going Home

Traveling with Strangers